The Dictionary of Victorian Insults & Niceties celebrates the coming of Valentine’s Day by sharing ten of the most romantic words you never knew… or have I too underestimated your vocabulary?
- numinous adj. describing an experience that makes you fearful yet fascinated, awed yet attracted; the powerful, personal feeling of being overwhelmed and inspired.
- serein n. a fine rain falling from a cloudless sky.
- cordiform adj. heart-shaped.
- eudaimonia n. human flourishing; a contented state.
- sweven n. a vision seen in a dream.
- selcouth adj., adv., n. (to make or be/the state or characteristic of) unfamiliar, unusual, rare; strange, marvellous, wonderful.
- trouvaille n. something lovely that was found by accident.
- basorexia n. the overwhelming desire to kiss (this is a medical term).
- philocaly n. the love of beauty.
- redamancy n. the act of loving someone who loves you; a love returned in full.